Cinema chain Vue Entertainment was fined £ 750,000 for a safety breach after a man was fatally trapped in a legrest at a branch in Birmingham.
Ateeq Rafiq, 24, suffered a “catastrophic” injury after his neck was caught under an electric chair at the Vue cinema in the Star City Leisure Complex on March 9, 2018.
His father died of a brain injury in the hospital a week later.
The freshest monopoly and the sharpest analysis, carefully selected for your inbox
The Birmingham City Council has begun an investigation, and a Chiswick-based entertainment company in western London has previously admitted health and safety failures.
Vue was unable to confirm that a person was not at risk to health and safety with respect to the use of electric cinema seats between January 1, 2007 and March 9, 2018, and was appropriate and safe. He pleaded guilty to not conducting a risk assessment.
At a hearing at the Birmingham Crown Court on Tuesday, Judge Heidi Kubic said QC Judge Rafic had died in an “accident that should never happen.”
She told the court: “I can say that the losses suffered by his wife and family cannot be improved.
“Clearly, it is acknowledged that many civilians were at risk of the same harm.
“The complete lack of risk assessment was a significant cause of the actual harm that resulted.”
Kubik QC accepted Vue’s “Very Positive Health and Safety Record” and added:
At the 2019 Inquest, I heard Raffic, who visited the cinema with his wife, thought the keys and phone had slipped beside his seat.
After the movie was over, he knelt down looking for his belongings, but was unaware that it was impossible to lift the footrest by hand.
The coroner’s court heard how Mr. Raffic lacked a luxurious seat with parts that would allow him to be released by hand.
Vue said: “Rafiq’s death made everyone at Vue sad and deeply apologizes for the loss of his family and friends.
“We hope that the end of these procedures will bring them some closure after this tragic accident.
“All the types of reclining chairs involved in the incident have been removed from our cinema and we have learned from now on and have taken every possible step to prevent it from happening again.”
Vue Entertainment was also ordered to pay £ 130,000.
Vue Cinema Group fined £ 750,000 after a man was crushed and died in a Birmingham reclining seat
Source link Vue Cinema Group fined £ 750,000 after a man was crushed and died in a Birmingham reclining seat