Former Chelsea and Newcastle star Christian Atu’s manager has denied reports the footballer was rescued from the debris of a destroyed building after a major earthquake in Turkey.
According to multiple reports on Monday night, Atu was reportedly missing along with Hataispor’s sporting director Taner Savuto, and Portuguese outlet A Bola said he suffered “a right leg injury and difficulty breathing. ” said he was suffering from
However, these reports remain unconfirmed by Hataispor, with manager Mustafa Ozatto and teammate Kerim Arici seemingly suggesting the two are still in trouble.
Atu was part of the Newcastle side that won promotion to the Premier League in 2017 after joining on a season-long loan from Chelsea, and later completed a permanent move.
A post on the club’s official Twitter account read, “@ChristianAtsu20, wishing you all the positive news.”
Christian Atu, pictured playing for Chelsea in 2016, was reportedly buried under the rubble of a building in Turkey.
Thousands are known to have died after buildings collapsed in two major earthquakes and dozens of aftershocks in Turkey on Monday
Rescue workers walk next to a collapsed building in Antakya, Turkey, Monday night after the earthquake.
Local media reported that the 31-year-old playing for Newcastle in 2017 was alive but trapped under rubble earlier in the day.
More than 3,500 people have been killed and thousands injured after earthquakes hit Turkey and Syria.
Atu scored a dramatic late winner for his club on Sunday night with a 1-0 win over Kasim Pasha at Hayat’s stadium. All Kasimpasa players and staff are reported to be unharmed in the earthquake.
The 31-year-old joined Chelsea in 2013 but never played an official game for the club as he was sent out on loan for many seasons, including at Everton and Newcastle.
He made just five appearances for Everton, but impressed enough to earn a permanent move to the Magpies on loan at Newcastle.
In total, he made 107 appearances for the club, scoring eight goals, before joining Saudi side Al Raed in 2021.
Newcastle posted a photo of Atu on social media from his time at the club, saying: “We wish you good news.”
Atu played for Hataispor on Sunday and scored in the 7th minute of stoppage time in a 1-0 win over Kasimpaşa.
Post-match message: “An important win for the team. Happy to be on the scoresheet.”
Kahramanmaras, home of Hataispor, was hit hard by the earthquake.
Hatayspor player Onur Ergun posted an Instagram story in response to earlier reports that it wasn’t entirely wrong.
“Thank you so much to everyone who called and listened,” said the midfielder. “The news is not true. I’m fine.
Newcastle posted a message on social media ‘hoping for good news’
Atsu’s latest message on Twitter came after the 31-year-old scored the winner in seven minutes of injury time after his club won 1-0 on Sunday.
Atsu also played for Chelsea, but he spent most of his time at the club on loan.
Search and rescue mission underway to find people trapped under rubble
“Due to network issues, I am unable to answer the call. Get well soon to all of us.”
Yeni Marathiaspor’s Turkish keeper Ahmed Turkaslan is also said to be missing.
Club assistant coach Ilhan Val said: There are currently no signs. His wife came out and explained where he was.
The wife of Hataispor manager Volkan Demirel delivered a tearful message after a massive magnitude 7.5 aftershock struck southern Turkey hours after the first.
“Hatai is in a very bad state” Zeynep Thurber Demirel said in a video shared on social mediaSome of her friends are still believed to be trapped under the rubble, and more soccer players may be affected by the disaster.
according to harbor globala footballer from the Maraspor team may have been staying in a hotel destroyed by the earthquake.
Among other Turkish players believed to be missing are 14 volleyball players from the Hatay team, handball international Cemal Kutahya and Hataispor coach Sabath Yukse.
Olympic gold medalist Taha Akgul said about 30 to 40 wrestlers from the Kalamammaras-based team were trapped under the rubble.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11719853/Former-Newcastle-star-Christian-Atsu-alive-rubble-destroyed-building-Turkey-earthquake.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490 Former Newcastle star Christian Atu rescued from building debris after Turkey earthquake