When setting up a bar set for home, one of the most important things to consider is the quality of the barware. The right barware can make all the difference in the quality of your drinks and the overall experience of your guests. Below, we’ll explore essential home barware and factors to consider when buying.
Home Barware Essentials
There are a few essentials that you will need to have in order to make a wide variety of drinks. Here are some of the most important items to consider:
- Glassware – The most basic glassware you need includes a set of highball glasses for mixed drinks and a set of lowball glasses for whiskey and other spirits. You should also have a set of Martini glasses or coupe glasses (personal preference) and wine glasses for both red and white.
- Shaker – A shaker is an essential tool for mixing drinks. A cobbler shaker is made up of three parts: a shaker tin, a lid with a built-in strainer, and a cap; the other most popular shaker, a Boston shaker, has two shaker tins.
- Jigger – A jigger is a small measuring tool that helps you measure out the perfect amount of ingredients for your drinks.
- Strainer – This is used to strain out any unwanted bits from your drinks, such as ice or fruit.
- Bar Spoon – While it seems simple, a long spoon is perfect for stirring and layering drinks.
- Bottle Opener – This is an essential tool for opening any bottled drinks.
Factors To Consider When Buying Home Barware
When buying home barware, there are a few factors to consider in order to make sure you are getting the best quality for your money.
- Material – Barware can be made from a variety of materials, including glass, metal, and plastic. Glass and metal are the most popular choices, as they are durable and easy to clean. However, glass will break more easily than stainless steel; with stainless, you want a high-quality set that will not rust.
- Size – The size of the barware is also important. You should choose a size that is appropriate for the type of drinks you will be serving. For example, a smaller glass is better for a shot of alcohol, while a standard, larger glass is better for a mixed drink. Or make sure your shaker and mixing glass can hold 2 drinks at once if that is important to you.
- Style – Barware comes in a wide variety of styles, from classic to modern. Choose a style that complements the overall look and feel of your home bar. Classic barware is typically made of glass or metal and features a traditional design, which is perfect for a more formal or traditional home bar setup. On the other hand, modern barware often features sleek and minimalist designs, which go well with a more contemporary home bar setup.
- Durability – You want to choose barware that is durable and able to withstand the wear and tear of regular use. This is especially important for items like shakers, muddlers, and bottle openers that will be used frequently.
- Price – Barware can vary greatly in price, so it’s important to set a budget and stick to it. Keep in mind that you don’t have to buy everything at once; you can always start with the essentials and add to your collection over time.
Where to Buy High Quality Barware
When it comes to buying barware, it’s important to find high-quality items that will last and make your home bar experience enjoyable.
Various online Retailers have a wide variety of high-quality barware from various brands, including professional-grade and high-end options. You can find reviews and compare prices before making a purchase to make sure the company you’re buying from really offers well-made items.
Specialty stores like A Bar Above offer a wide variety of the best barware and other cocktail-making equipment.
Some cities also have local barware shops that carry high-quality barware and other cocktail-making equipment. These shops may offer unique and hard-to-find items that you won’t find in generic stores. If you have a specialty shop in your town, go in person to ask about which pieces will serve your cocktail needs.
Choosing the right barware for your home bar is an important part of creating the perfect atmosphere and entertaining guests. Think about the above factors and the essentials you really want in your home bar to make sure you have everything you need to make delicious drinks and impress your guests. Remember that you can always start with the essentials and add to your collection over time, and that quality and durability are key.